Friday, August 17, 2007

Sailing, squash and smiles

It is amazing how quickly time flies. I realized it has been more than a week since I posted. When I started doing this blog, I thought I would update it more often. But either not much is going on to write about, or too much is going on to have time to sit down and write. Or sometimes a little bit of both. Here are a few pictures of the latest in the our home. By the way, I seem to have serious issues with getting pictures to work out very well. Am I an idiot (probably) or is there some way of uploading pictures and having them post somewhere other than the top of the message? It is too much effort to try and get the pictures where you want them and delete all the empty space that seems to show up when you move pictures around. If any of my few readers have any insights, I would sure appreciate it. Now for the latest adventures in our lives....
Not too much has been going on this week. I did go to lunch with my friends for my birthday on Monday (my friend Sarah just had a baby last week so we decided to postpone the lunch until she could make it). It has been nice because we stretched out my b-day celebration for about a week with all the different things that went on. That night my mom, Darla and her two boys stopped by to say goodbye before they flew back to Chicago. Paige, Kyle and their families came over as well, so it was a fun little get together. We did some yard work last night--my stupid flower beds and lawn are so full of morning glory. It is ridiculous trying to keep it under control. I really need to figure out what to do with the flower beds. They are getting really crowded and overgrown, but I just haven't had the energy to do much with them this summer.
We are going to see Brian Regan tomorrow night out at Thanksgiving Point. If you have not ever listened to him or see him perform, you are missing out. He is quite funny and clean which is such a nice combination.
The boys are doing well. Seth is pushing his limits every day and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to parent him. But he gives the best hugs and kisses right now and comes up with new things all the time that make me laugh. He has been having night terrors lately which are so weird. It takes him awhile to calm down even when we are in there with him. We can't even touch him until he has woken up enough to realize what is going on.
Sam has a new nickname now which is "Screech". He loves to hear himself talk or scream or whatever. He has a very loud voice. Very resonant. He still won't roll over, but he can scoot himself pretty well (too well at times, but I'm not getting into that). He can sit up for quite a while now, unfortunately today he did a face plant in the bath tub which freaked him out a bit. He is not the best sleeper, but we keep working on it.
I guess the biggest news is Nick decided to not go back to school this year. There were a lot of determining factors in that decision, but we know that it is the right thing for us right now. He can defer up to 2 years, so who know what the future will hold. He was also released as the Sunday School President and put in as the High Priest Group Leader. Crazy huh! It's like he turned 80 over night.
Nick and I went on a sunset cruise around Utah Lake on a sailboat last week. It was a lot of fun. I was concerned it was going to be uncomfortable with a bunch of people, but it was just us and the older couple who run a school teaching people how to sail. It was actually really nice visiting with them. They made a delicious dessert for us and we just sailed around for about an hour and a half. It was extremely peaceful and relaxing. Of course, not having 2 very active boys along would make driving at a monster truck rally nice and relaxing. Thanks to Kyle and Lena for babysitting so we could get out and enjoy my birthday. And to Paige for babysitting the night before so we could go to dinner. I LOVE my boys, but I also love getting a break from them once in a while.


Seth found his snow boots the other day and decided to wear them. He has gotten very attached to the Toy Story movies lately and he was checking his boots to see if they said "Andy" on the bottom. I don't know if he thought they belonged to Woody or Buzz. I'm thinking probably Buzz since he wrapped himself up in his blanket the other day and informed me he was a space ranger. He is so weird sometimes. Today after I pulled the garbage bag out of the can, he put the can on his head and said it was his happy birthday hat.

I was trying to get Seth to help me feed a bottle to Sam while I finished making some strawberry jam (my moment of domestic goddess) but he wasn't so good at the concept of holding the bottle UP! That boy is sure full of spunk lately (more so than usual).

What a happy boy. We love it when he is all smiles like this!


We gave Sam squash for the first time today. He seemed to like it at first, and then he started to lean his head forward every time I tried to give it to him (trying to get away from the spoon from what I can tell). Thus, he ended up with more of it on his face than in his mouth.











The easiest way to get Sam to smile and laugh is when we nibble on his feet. Look at that grin!

No comments: