Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm so thankful for all my blessings.

I've been reminded a lot in the last couple of days how blessed I am and how precious life is. We have seen how quickly your life can be turned upside down and what is truly important. On Thursday, some good friends of ours had a baby. They knew ahead of time of the complications that the baby had and that the prognosis was not very good. When he was born, it seemed like things were going better than expected and that even though things could change quickly, it appeared he would be able to beat the odds. Today the doctors found bleeding on the brain and knew they would not be able to do more for him and the decision was made to take him off life support. I can't imagine how they must be feeling right now. My heart aches for them and the pain they are suffering.

Another good friend just had her (almost) 4yr old nephew diagnosed with Leukemia. Nick and I were talking about how devastated we would be if we got the news one of our children had cancer. Thinking about all of this made me appreciate my boys so much more tonight. I just left the dishes and the rest of the kitchen in a mess and spent the night playing with them. It was good for all of us to just play basketball and read and tickle and laugh and play sleeping beauty and the handsome prince and just appreciate that they are healthy and happy. I hope I will be less likely to complain when they are so active.

On Saturday night we received a call that Nick's dad had a heart attack. When we went and saw him at the hospital, it seemed like it had been a pretty minor one and he would be going home the next day after a few tests. Well today we found out that 5 of his arteries are 90 percent blocked and he will be having major bypass surgery tomorrow.

These last few days have really made me take stock of everything good in my life. I am so blessed!!

5 comments:

Rio's Rider said...

Aww. I'm sorry to read about all these things happening. It does truly put things in perspective, doesn't it?
I've been looking forward to going to lunch with you tomorrow, but found out that I have a team meeting at work. It's the first one we've had in like two years, so it must be important. We'll have to plan to get together another time. Soon.
Twis

Sarah said...

As I read your post I couldn't help but think that is exactly how I have been feeling this week. Life can change in a heartbeat and we need to take time to just "love" eachother. Thanks for all your concern for Everett. He is doing well, but changes daily. I can't wait to see you on Friday, I wish it was under different circumstances. Talk to you soon!

Paige and Jason said...

Hey woman, get it together and update will ya? Im getting a bit impatient :-)

Sarah said...

Michelle I told you I would give you two days to update this blog. what is going on? :)

Sarah said...

OK if you won't update then I will give you something to tell us. I've tagged you. Sorry, I don't usually do this but I feel bad if I don't keep it going. Check out my blog to see what you need to do.
Talk to you soon!